How Can You Use These Surprising Facts to Your Advantage? We’ll Show You The Way…
The internet is huge and it’s growing larger by the minute. We have been thinking a lot about how we can arm you with the best information so you can confidently run your online business, so we searched around for some facts. What we found even surprised us! Check out these eye-opening facts that can help you identify where your opportunities are lurking online.
- There are currently 4,208,571,287 internet users! That’s great news for you, because that means you have billions of potential customers.
- The total number of websites on the internet is 1.95 billion. That’s eye-opening because it means you are competing for attention against nearly 2 billion other websites.
- Google averages 40,000 searches every second, which equates to 1.2 trillion searches worldwide per year. Google has become a way of life for most Internet users.
- 3.2 billion internet users are also social media users. Social media is where many people spend a good portion of their Internet time. You need to have a social media plan to reach those users.
- eCommerce sales in 2018 came in at $2.842 billion, and it’s expected to top $3.453 billion in 2019. There’s profit to be made with an online store, but the key is to get noticed in the sea of 1.95 billion websites.
- It’s estimated that by the year 2040, 95% of purchases will be through eCommerce. That’s absolutely amazing, and it means that having an online store will provide the most profit potential.
Did you learn something new? We did! Knowing that there are billions of users online and billions of websites, too, gives you the scope of potential you have with your online business. What can you do to make these facts work for you?
- Understand what marketing does for your business. Obviously, your online store isn’t in direct competition with nearly 2 billion websites, but you are in competition for attention. Simply launching an online store isn’t going to guarantee that a billion, a million, or even a hundred Internet users will find your website. You need to have a marketing plan, whether it’s focusing on the free ways you can build trust with search engines like Google or adding search engine optimization that will help your store get noticed. No matter what, the fact that there are nearly 2 billion other websites online right now should make it clear that you need to do something to stand out from the crowd.
- Google is really, really important. Focusing on getting shoppers to your website means focusing on becoming friends with Google. Making your website Google-friendly is mandatory in 2019 and will continue into the future, so how do you make this search engine giant aware of your store? Search engine optimization is how, and it starts with filling your website with content that is specifically tailored to your store. That means if you’re selling candle lanterns, write content about candle lanterns, add meta tags about candle lanterns, candle lantern keywords that don’t have a lot of competition, H1 tags for candle lanterns, and alt tags on candle lantern images. You can find a lot of great SEO information online to help you understand it better and we can help you, too. Call us when you need help!
- Social media platforms are second-most important. Your potential shoppers are spending A LOT of time on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest every single day. Users of these sites spend an average of 40 minutes a day, which means that your potential shoppers are just hanging out in one spot waiting for something to catch their eye or entertain them. Go get ’em! You need a Facebook Business Page. You need to start a Pinterest page. You need to post products, promote sales, and generally be available to your shoppers where they are spending time daily. Start with Facebook and branch out from there!
- Those billions of dollars in sales aren’t spread evenly over millions of websites. Think about the retail giants like Amazon, WalMart, Target, and Macy’s. Collectively, they made billions of dollars last year online. What they also did is spend millions (and in some cases billions) of dollars advertising, marketing, and ensuring their sites were Google friendly. You don’t have that kind of marketing budget, so you can’t assume you’ll make profit this year that’s anywhere near their range. You need to set realistic expectations! It’s a good rule of thumb that any small business that breaks even in the first few months of operation is doing well, spread among the startup costs of a new business, the cost of marketing, and profits from selling items.
- Make sure you’ve got your eye on a long-term goal. In 20 years, 95% of purchases will be made online, but that doesn’t guarantee that you’re going to sell hundreds of items this year. Getting frustrated by a slow start or less-than-immediate success can be the end of any business entrepreneurship, so it’s important that you focus on long-term goals. Be prepared to start slow and celebrate the little victories. No company achieves overnight success, so get your mind wrapped around realistic goals to keep you going, such as “my goal this month is to sell $100 more in products this month than I did last month.” You’ll have a much better chance of being in business for the long haul if you don’t expect Amazon-type success today.
Need help figuring out how to create realistic business goals for your eMerchantClub online store? Our Advanced Marketing Representatives can help you see the big picture, give you a business pep talk when you need it, and help you better understand the importance of Search Engine Optimization and marketing. You can call them at 1-800-238-8509 during the week to make an appointment for your business overview. And when you need a little help with the technical aspects of your Magento store, our Technical Support team is available to answer your questions Monday – Friday from 7 am to 6 pm MST, at 1-877-384-4691.
Let’s get your website noticed! After learning the importance of Google and Social Media for this article, we are giving you a discount on our SEO Packages and Facebook Business Page builds. Get your marketing plan started for less right now. Call us to get your professionally built marketing packages started before the big holiday shopping rush: 1-800-238-8509